Sunday, November 8, 2015

Business English: Writing letters

For Business Letters

1. Receiver (Who are you writing this to?)


  • Someone you know (friend, colleague, business partner, group, company)
  • Some one you don't know (To whom it may concern, Dear Sir/Madam)
  • How do you expect the receiver to respond?



2. Sender (Who are you?)


  • What is your relationship to the reader/receiver(s)?
  • What role are you assuming in the letter?
  • (friend, colleague, etc.)



3. Context (What background information does the reader need?)


  • Bring the reader up to date first.
  • Establish a connection
  • As requested . . .
  • It was nice meeting you in Toronto last week . . .
  • I read your article in Vague Magazine . 
  • Supporting details
  • Time frame (sequence of events)



4. Message (What do you want the reader to know or do?)


  • What do you hope to accomplish with the letter (inform, persuade, initiate action)
  • I am writing to inquire about . . .
  • Could you please send me . . .
  • Polite requests
  • Please . . .
  • Would you mind . . .
  • Could you please . . .
  • Would you be so kind as to . . .


5. Medium (What is the appropriate format?)

  • Fax, e-mail, formal business letter, memo, informal note



6. Tone (What tone do you wish to convey?)

  • informative
  • polite
  • business-like
  • friendly
  • humble
  • assertive
  • urgent
  • irate


7. Other recipients (Are there others who need to be informed of this communication?)

  • cc: courtesy copy

Before writing a business letter, consider the following:

Objective(s)

  • Why am I writing this letter?
  • What do I hope to accomplish?
  • What action do I want from my reader?

 

Your Audience

  • Who will read this letter?
  • How can I appeal to the reader's interest?
  • What attitude might the reader have toward this information?
  • Will the reader consider this good news or bad news?

 

Organization

  • What information should be included first/last?
  • What details does the reader need to know?
  • Does my conclusion motivate the reader to do something?
  • Do I end the letter in a positive and polite manner?

 

Professionalism

  • Do I use a professional business letter format?
  • Do my language and style show a positive attitude toward the reader/the company/the product/the information.
  • Will my reader be offended by anything in the letter?

 
Proofreading

  • Are there any spelling errors, typos, etc.?
  • Is the format of the letter appropriate?
  • Have I signed my name?
From ESLGold.com

No comments:

Post a Comment